Daniel McBride

Daniel McBride
Affidavit of Daniel R. McBride; 142889,WCI; Born 1967(51), on AC since 2013(update coming)

I, Daniel R. McBride, under 28 U.S.C. Section 1746 and penalty of perjury bring this affidavit

 in good faith and do sweat the following is true and current to the best of my knowledge.

1.       I am presently confined in the Seg Unit of the Wisconsin Correctional Institution at Waupun, WI  53963.

2.       On September 10, 2013, I was placed on Administrative Confinement (AC) by the WCI Administrative Confinement members.  Ms. Bonis, Social Worker Supervisor, Officer Gundy, COII, and Capt. Westra.  Their decision reason was stated as:  Inmate’s gang-related activities, Inmate’s past conduct.  Perhaps the most disturbing incident or concern was taking a social worker hostage at WRC and Group Resistance and Petitioning, attempt hostage, conspiracy, manufacture or use of a weapon, aggravated assault, and endangering safety.

3.       Since being placed on AC I have been placed in Observation Status on 2/1/14 for 6 days, 4/14/14 for 20 days, 7/9/14 for 9 days, 9/11/15 for 4 days, 9/29/15 for 3 days and 11/29/15 for 1 day.

4.       Each time I was placed in observation was because of the fact of my being confined in a cell without any help from a clinician (psychologist) for 24 hours a day, and people hollering and screaming on the tier.

5.       Being on AC denies me access to some of my religious books and groups due to the fact that the chaplain cannot send any pagan books to seg, but yet other religions can.

6.       Ms. Baird, the former PSU Supervisor, who did an evaluation of me and said that I’m a “Mtt2b” mental health class, meaning a ‘serious mental illness.”  She told me to get involved in PSU (Psychological Services Unit-conducted) groups, but there are not any more PSU groups available, period.  These groups were stopped around February 11, 2015, but I did manage to complete the CGIP program with the Social workers before the Seg Team stopped that program from being available.

7.       Being confined to a cell 24 hours a day has caused me stress because of the noise on the tier and nothing to do; no fresh air; no access to clinical services, nor access to my religious books.

8.       Ms. Bonnie Halder, the WCI crisis worker, has told me as well as my attorney that people with mental problems cannot get the treatment they need due to the lack of time with an inmate and lack of programs, and PSU are not around 24 hours a day.

9.      Being an AC has caused me many mental problems.  Has caused me to overdose, writing poems about death, draw about death.  Being on medication makes me pace back and forth, cut myself because I cannot talk to clinicians, and the noise, lack of fresh air being in a cell, and lack of recreation, lack of treatment groups, in a cell with a brighter light on 24 hours a day; lack of religious books, not able to make group.

10.  My mental health has gotten worse due to the fact that I’m in AC and being placed in observation as a consequence.

11.  Many prisoners have been placed in observation due to the fact that inmates on AC cannot get the help that they need.  In observation you get a green smock, a black hard rubber mat, and a green security blanket with the light on 24 hours a day with an officer checking on you every 15 minutes.

12.  In a regular cell there’s no fresh air, no good air flow and the rooms are cold and loud.

13.  I have talked to many clinicians since I’ve been on AC because of my mental health getting worse due to being in a room 24 hours a day; thoughts of self-harm, cutting myself, and overdosing a few times.  My diagnosis has gotten worse, as well, as PSU has listed me for:

(A)   Personality Disorder Mitch Type

(B)   Poly = Substance Abuse

(C)   Antisocial Personality Disorder

(D)   Emotional Psypregulation (I don’t think that’s right, but that’s what it says)

(E)    Emotional Disorder

(F)    Past Traumatic Stress Disorder

(G)   Poly-Substance Dependence in Controlled Environment

(H)   Borderline Personality Disorder

(I)      Borderline Intellectual Functioning

(J)     Mtt2b (mental health classification)


14.  My diagnosis and mental health class have gotten worse and going to observation because of noise, being locked in a cell 24 hours a day, because of noise on the tier, looking at the hallways, thoughts of self-harm, and no access to the help that I need.  PSU staff n longer stops by my cell to speak with me.
I am competent to testify to all of the above. Executed at Waupun, Wisconsin On January 20, 2016